Reunited

This post has taken me forever to get to, but I have been trying to figure out what I should write...

Back in November, yes 3 months ago, I reunited with my family after a long family quarrel.

Rewind to Summer 2007...

Here's a little history... My sister and I had our babies 13 days apart. My mom or my sister never knew I was pregnant until I sent out birth announcements. Before I get flamed for anything, please note there were several underlying reasons in which I didn't share my news with my family. It was a medical choice and I stuck with it for my health.

After I sent out birth announcements from the birth of Alli (in April) I got a call a few weeks later from my sister. I was getting ready to take a nap and hung up the phone with my hubby. I told him I had a very bad headache and the girls were sleeping so I was going to sleep off my headache. About 3 seconds after I hang up the phone it rings, again! *sigh* I answer... WHAT?! Thinking it will be T again, but it was a vaguely familiar voice say, Melissa? It's your sister. I fly out of bed and shout my sisters name. I have spoke with my sister for nearly 5 years so hearing her voice brought me instantly to tears. I couldn't believe it. I have dreamed of the moment I would talk to her again. It was surreal. My sister and I spoke for 2.5 hours and it seemed like 5 minutes. We talked about everything. We had forgiven each other for "whatever" we had our family spat about and we put everything behind us and started over. It was such a wonderful feeling. I told my sister I was going to focus on us and handle the situation with our mom at a later date.

Fast forward a few weeks later... I receive a package in the mail. I am doing some gardening after I get out of work during the summer and I notice a package on my porch. I look at it and it is from my mom. I hesitantly opened it because I didn't want there to be any nasty letters to read. Instead it was a symbolic peace offering. There were some gifts to both of my girls congratulating our family with our newest addition. It was the sign I needed to call her. I had been putting it off because I just did not want to make that call. I mustered it up and called. We had a wonderful conversation. I explained everything to her including my reasoning as to why I never said anything to her about our pregnancy. She completely understood and I was relieved. I apologized and asked if we could start over and keep the past in the past. She obliged...

So began our new and improved relationships.

Fast-Fast forward to November...

We celebrated Thanksgiving at my house the week before Thanksgiving was observed as a holiday. My family caravaned from Wisconsin to Ohio. I worked 1/2 a day; I didn't think they'd get to Cleveland so soon, but when I came home everyone was here. When I came home my house was bursting at the seams. Before I pulled into my driveway I had butterflies. I was nervous. I was excited. I was scared. I couldn't believe all of this was happening and it truly was a reality. When I walked through the doors I had my family in my living room. My mom and her husband were here... and my sister and my brother-in-law, whom I have never met and their 2 kids were in my house! I love entertaining and the warmth of family just took over me. We cried and laughed and thoroughly enjoyed one another.

For Thanksgiving dinner we fried a turkey, I made mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, my grandmothers Armenian rice pilaf, my grandmothers apple pie, green bean casserole, cheesecake, rolls, cranberry relish, and cornbread sausage stuffing. I had a HUGE spread! The best part was it all came out at the same time and it was piping hot! Everyone loved the food so it was a great compliment.

My family was here for really 2.5 days so it wasn't long, it was a quick trip. I wish I had more time to visit than being stuck in the kitchen doing a zillion dishes. The good thing was I had Z-E-R-O leftovers! That is the best compliment when you are a cook. There's nothing left!

After my family left I felt such relief that I have them back, plus a brother-in-law and a new nephew. There's more to love! I can't wait to see them again. I am so happy to have made amends and we can all finally be a family. I am very thankful.

Below is a slideshow of some pictures of their visit here... I was unable to take any pictures so I can not assume any credit....