Leave the blinds open...

The other night we had a storm in Northern Ohio. I had sent Em to bed and while walking past her room I saw lightening come in. As a little girl I have always loved thunderstorms. I love the sound of thunder and watching the lightening paint the sky. Em was still awake so I crawled in bed with her and we were talking.

I began talking to her about storms and asked her if she was afraid. She responded negatively and said no. I have told her that sound of thunder are angels "bowling" upstairs. That is what I was told growing up and it always gave me a sense of calm.

I began to tell Em the story about my father. Back home when my father was alive we would always sit on our front porch together eating rice crispies or watermelon together. The storms would "roll" in and we would have a bird's-eye-view of the magic that would take place. My father and I would always talk, but I have no recollection about what. It is one of the fondest memories of him that I have. It will be forever with me for as long as I live. I knew whenever I had children I would pass along our tradition. And I have kept to my very own promise.

Em then asked me about a picture hanging on her wall facing her bed. It is a picture of a little girl portrayed as an angel playing with animals. She said the people that are bowling are like her. Em proceeded to ask me about the picture hanging in my family room with a picture of my father. She asked me what my father's name was. I said he went by the name of Chuck or Junior. She chuckled. I then told her that she should call him Grandpa. Em told me that my dad was up there. I began to cry. All of the little things I have eluded to her, she has listened.

Em told me she doesn't have an angel(s) watching over her. I told Em that even though Grandpa is in heaven he always watches over her. She has several angels, we all do.

I told Em it was time for me to leave so she could go to bed. I asked her if she wanted her blinds open or closed. She asked that I close them. I woke her up the next day for school and her blinds were noticeabley open. I never said anything to her about it but that night she told me she wants to keep her blinds open. She wants to keep them open so the angels can come in. At that moment I broke down in tears. It was the most insightful thought that has ever been spoken from her.