A Plea...


Yesterday in the news there was a very bad accident here in Cleveland. I got a "breaking news" e-mail after 1 PM that a local highway was closed Eastbound due to a 6 car pile-up.

I read the e-mail and only made sure that it won't effect my ride on the way home. Since I live west of Cleveland, I was set. No worries... Closed it and went on with my day. I met up with my hubby so he could drop off Em to me at an appointment I had after work. I then told him he may want to take an alternate route as his drive may be affected with this accident.

I finish my appointment and go workout... I get home and am preparing dinner. The phone rings. It's my hubby... He begins to remind me of the accident I told him about. One of the men injured is a part-time officer at his Police Department. He was hired as a full time officer in the city this accident took place and was helping a disabled vehicle change it's tire when a semi-truck rear-ended two squad cars. This call was piggy-backed (meaning where two officers respond to the same call). The officer that works with my husband was sent via Life Flight to local trauma hospital with critical injuries. The other officer was injured, but not near as severe. Hearing this news sent chills down my spine. A fellow brother was hurt on the job while trying to help the public, while trying to serve his civil duty as an officer.

This is where the anger sets in... Semi-truck drivers ask for the right of way while disabled on the highway. They ask that you switch lanes while they have their cones up... They have a good reason. Traffic flying by you at high speeds can be scary. If you can't move over a lane, then slow down!! This goes the same with law enforcement vehicles. When you see the flashing lights. GET THE HELL OVER!!! They are announcing their presence. Respect them in what they are doing, their job. Heck in most cities it's a law that you move over or slow down. So if an officer is piggy-backed on a call like this that is going smoothly and you aren't obiding your laws. You will be getting a ticket.

This truck driver went against every thing I have ever heard a truck driver bitch about... I don't know if he wasn't paying attention or what... That part of town on the highway is crazy no matter what time I have drove through there. Speeds feel like I am driving in the Indy 500... Not that I am defending he driver at all, but just trying to sketch a picture there.

The one thing that bothers me is that this young man, all of 27 years of age, whom I have never met, whom works with my husband is layed up in the hospital fighting for his life because he was helping someone who had a minor accident -- tire blow out and crashed into the median wall. To see the news clip, please click here. He has had two surgeries on his legs, in an medically induced coma, but breathing on his own...

All I can do is cry, because this could have been my husband, my family, my life affected by all of this. Please say a prayer as he will need many of them. My husband and I are numb to this and him even moreso than I...

Law enforcement officers aren't paid a lot of money, but they do what they do because that is their goal or ambition in life. Is it worth losing everything for a tire or small accident one may ask? Losing your families? They all are underpaid by putting a small price tag on themselves for you John Q Public, but they do it for you.

I don't know about everyone else, but paying attention while you are driving let's my husband come home safely to my daughter and I every morning. I don't want to lose him to some careless driver who hasn't had enough sleep or was talking on their cell phone, etc. Yes, I realize this can happen to anyone. But when he's in his uniform he's protecting the people. I couldn't imagine waking up in the middle of the night to hear he has been injured on the job. To explain to my daughter why her father is in the hospital... It's gut wrenching.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the new rookie officer to a speedy recovery. I will be calling the President of our Fraternal Order of Police Lodge tomorrow to see what we can do to help him and his family out in this difficult time for him. Please keep him in your prayers...

Here are a few pictures from the accident if you didn't view the video clip. It's just a reminder of how precious life really is. Never leave your house angry or upset. When you leave your loved ones, pretend it's the last time you will see them as you never know what will happen when you walk out of the padded walls of your home. Never hold thoughts or feelings back, there may be a time where you regret not saying them. We can't assume what you feel and then wonder the rest of our waking lives what your intent was here. Always kiss and make-up.... Because you never know what is in store for you.